We teach children aged 3 and above. Lessons are run at Denbigh High school, Alexandra Avenue, Luton, LU3 1HE. Click here for a map. The pool has changing rooms with showers and toilets and onsite parking. 12 weeks is £69.
|Lesson start times||5.00, 5.30, 6.00, 6.30, (7-8 swim squad)||5.00, 5.30, 6.00, 6.30 (girls only session)||9.00, 9.30, 10.00, 10.30||9.50, 10.20, 10.50, 11.20, 12.00, 12.30, 1.00, 1.30, 2.00, 2.30|
Lesson Booking and Availability
Lessons are usually booked termly (12 weeks). Lessons run alongside the school term and towards the end of a term you will be given the opportunity to reenrol for the following term.
Please contact us directly if you are interested in joining and we can contact you when we are taking new bookings.
Tuesdays – Summer Classes
- 5.00-5.30pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4
- 5.30-6.00pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3
- 6.00-6.30pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4
- 6.30-7.00pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5
Fridays – Spring Classes
- 5.00-5.30pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3/4, Stage 5
- 5.30-6.00pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2/2+, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5
- 6.00-6.30pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 7
- 6.30-7.00pm (Girls only): Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4
Saturdays – Spring Classes
- 9.00-9.30am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4
- 9.30-10.00am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 4, Stage 5
- 10.00-10.30am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5, Stage 6
- 10.30-11.00am: Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4
Sundays -Spring Classes
- 9.50-10.20am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4
- 10.20-10.50am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 4, Stage 5
- 10.50-11.20am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4
- 11.20-11.50am- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2/2+, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5
- 12.00-12.30pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 5
- 12.30-1.00pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4
- 1.00-1.30pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5
- 1.30-2.00pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2+, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 6
- 2.00- 2.30 pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3
- 2.30- 3.00 pm- Ducklings, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4
For further information about which class your child would be best suited to or for any other questions, please contact us. If your child has any physical or educational needs we can often still accommodate them in a small group lesson providing they are able to follow simple instructions. However please do contact us to discuss in as much detail as possible the specific needs of your child before booking, to ensure we allocate them the most suitable class and make their swimming experience as happy and safe as possible.
Which class is suitable for your child?
Lessons follow the Swim England scheme. Non swimmers and beginners start either working towards their Duckling awards or Stage 1 of the Swim England learn to swim scheme. (Younger swimmers, aged 3-4, start on the Duckling awards to develop their confidence in the water and to practise following instructions. Once they are confident they begin to work on the skills needed to complete Stage 1). If you child has already achieved some Learn to Swim awards, contact us to find the most suitable class for them.
What happens in a lesson?
All children’s lessons are 30 minutes. We teach the children water confidence, skills and strokes. We use flotation aids including armbands, floats and woggles to ensure the children are confident in the water and are able to practise the different aspects of the stroke. Children spend most of the lesson practising different aspects of a certain stroke- either front paddle, progressing to front crawl, backstroke or breaststroke and in the later stages dolphin progressing to butterfly. Lessons finish with skills which develop water safety and confidence. We continually assess the children and after the half term we award badges for children who have passed a stage. See below for an idea of what is expected in each stage- this is just a summary and not an exhaustive list but gives you some ideas of what to work on if you want to take your child to the pool to practise!
Ducklings: Blow bubbles, kick on the back, float on the back, travel to an object, blow an object, submerge, jump in.
Stage 1: Move forwards, backwards and sideways, wash face and be showered, float and regain standing, push and glide.
Stage 2: Blow bubbles rhythmically, push and glide on front and back, float on front and back and regain standing without support, rotate from front to back and vice versa in a tucked position and as a log roll, swim 5m on front and back using the correct leg kick.
Stage 2+ :We have introduced a new stage called stage 2+. This is for children who have passed stage 2 but aren’t ready for stage 3 as they are not yet confident without armbands. Stage 2+ is to get children swimming without armbands and to bridge the large gap between stage 2 and 3. We will still cover stage 3 skills in this class but please note we cannot pass any stage 3 skills unless they are completed without armbands
Stage 3 (without teachers support OR armbands): Jump in and submerge, exit the pool without support or using the steps, push and glide and log roll, submerge and push and glide, travel 10m on front and back unaided and discuss the water safety code. To pass Stage 3 children need to be swimming without armbands as children cannot progress to the higher stages if they lack the confidence to swim unaided.
Stage 4: Front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke and dolphin kick, perform a sculling action, perform a sequence of changing shapes, push and glide and swim 10m choice of stroke.
Stage 5: Variety of sculling actions, tread water, different jumps into deep water, swim 10m of each stroke with a good technique, handstand, somersault.
Stage 6: Swim 10m with clothes on, swim each stroke demonstrating rhythmical breathing, peform a surface dive and a shout and signal rescue, swim 25m continously- choice of stroke and discuss how to prepare for exercise
Stage 7: Swim 25m of each stroke and swim 100m continously using at least 3 strokes, complete an obstacle course with feet off the floor and tread water using an egg beater kick.